Wednesday, June 17, 2009

My First Day of School

In the living room in our home is a weathered picture of my brother Bill and my sister Miriam, when they were five and six years old. The year must have been about 1951 or so, and the moment captured in time is the moment cherished by parents across the years---Their first day of school. Their faces shine with excitement, and they look absolutely sure they'll be successful.

So....time has passed, and surprisingly enough that routine is beginning again, although in a much different manner this time. On Friday of this week, I start a new adventure: beginning my course work for a Doctorate in Leadership for the Advancement of Learning and Service at Cardinal Stritch University in Milwaukee. I'm starting this blog to help record the journey ( I'm sure I'll look back and laugh at some time in the future....) as well as to try to process the years ahead by writing about them.

So here's the scoop: As the time to begin approaches, I find I'm really excited about the learning because I love the leadership topic. BUT....I'm also feeling anxious---about being away from home and living in a hotel the next two weeks, about the use of all the technology connected to the learning, about meeting and working with twenty people in my learning cohort, and so many other things! Brian says I'll feel much better after I arrive and get into the process, and I think he's right---The anticipation and uncertainty are the worst part of all this for me! So...........I'm heading down the road at 8 am Friday, and will keep you posted as I navigate my next few days. With a brother and sister who did school so well, how can I lose?

3 comments:

  1. You go girl!!! Do you have your highlighters? Extra batteries??? Make up?? 'Just trying to be helpful..Have fun!! You'll be fantastic!! love you, AMJ

    ReplyDelete
  2. abcdef what comes after f? Debbie help.

    B

    ReplyDelete
  3. I know the answer! It is "g".

    Love Big B

    ReplyDelete